Sunday 11 September 2016

Solo dad

I've been trialling being a solo parent (again) these last few days.

Don't fear, Mama and I haven't split.  But Mama is on the opposite side of the world at the moment.

Laolao's (Mama's mama) cancer has returned, so it is back to the hospital for another operation.  On Tuesday, Mama went up to Beijing to be with Laolao, while the children and I stayed back home.  Mama will probably be there for a couple of weeks until Laolao has recovered from the surgery.

So far, the children and I are surviving okay without Mama.  The main daily-life things I have noticed are:

  1. Mama usually organises dinner, and it is at that time of the day that I am most tired and like to rest on my own.  Without Mama, I have to keep going and force myself through my tiredness to do dinners.  Consequently dinners are fairly quick, easy and unimaginative -- steamed greens, boiled potatoes/kumara/carrot/pumpkin, eggs/canned fish, canned soup, etc.
  2. Miya still likes to come into the big bed during the night, sleeping with Mama.  Without Mama in the bed, Miya is with me, and she does like to wriggle around.  Too often I get kicked awake, and these days I am waking in the morning not nearly as refreshed as I'd like to be.
  3. Mama teaches most days here at home, so without students coming and going things are a lot quieter and more relaxed.  But on the downside, we are also getting less money coming in.
And I shouldn't need to add that we are all missing Mama simply being around.

Other than that, our life is continuing much as before, with lessons, outings to classes, meals and play.

More importantly, I hear that Laolao's operation went smoothly, and she is recovering well.

No comments:

Post a Comment